« Home | Witches Weekly: Your Knowledge » | Let the Clapotis begin... » | Delicious and beautiful » | Clapotis! » | Cannot... resist... buying... yarn... » | Peter Jennings, 1938-2005 » | Open Letter to the Kansas School Board » | Good dog, Mavis. Good dog. » | Guardsman in Iraq Punished Over Blog Post » | Define Mainstream? »

Best. Show. Ever.



Six Feet Under is over. Hubby and I have been watching this show since it premiered five years ago and now it's over.

I'm really quite heartbroken over this, although I do respect Alan Ball for knowing how to leave us wanting more. Six Feet Under featured amazing character development and plot depth, and some of the finest writing on television today. Damn, I'll miss it.

Human beings are a storytelling animal. Lest you think me foolish for mourning a television show, remember that stories are a huge part of how humans communicate with each other. Story telling is how we both teach and learn. It's how we explore our human condition. And Six Feet Under explored the human condition like no other show before it, with incredible characters who were both lovable and flawed. Each one simultaneously a protagonist and antagonist. Just as are we all.

I looked forward to this show each and every week. I would find myself thinking about the show, especially over the weekend, leading up to the show. And again, on Mondays, part of my mind would just be occupied with these characters, wondering how they were going to deal with whatever just happened the night before, and forgetting a bit that these were not real people. That is the gift of great story telling: you forget that the characters aren't real.

Nate, David, Claire, Ruth... I'll miss them all. And to Alan Ball, thank you. What a beautiful story you told us.

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links