« Home | The Work » | Witches Weekly: Mentoring Youths » | Cranky witch » | YES! » | National Witches' Day of Prayer » | What God Herself might look like... » | Please, please, please... » | Vigil tonight for fallen soldiers » | Putting the "mental" back into Fundamentalism... » | Apocalypse Bush! »

Witches Weekly: The Environment

The Environment
Witches Weekly for the week of September 18, 2004

Your single best environmental tip?

Reduce, reuse, recycle! Also, compost.


How do you justify (to yourself) your use of things that you believe are bad for the environment (coal, oil, gasoline, etc)?

I do use things that are harmful to the environment, but I also have to live in the modern-day United States, and certain things are realities. I do the best I can in the circumstances in which I live. For example, in our area, the electric company offers a renewable energy option, under which you pay just slightly more for wind power or other renewable forms of energy. I don't plan to buy a new car for several more years, but I intend to buy a gas-electric hybrid when the time comes.

What one thing would you be willing to give up (or reduce consumption of drastically) to improve the global environment? What one thing wouldn't you give up?

I would reduce my meat consumption. I was vegetarian for 9 years, but started eating meat again because of my family. Basically, my partner and children all choose to eat meat, and I go along. I would certainly eat less meat for the environment, and may give it up altogether again after the kids grow up. Don't make a martyr out of me, like I'm eating meat just for my family... I like meat, and right now, it makes life more simple if I eat it.

I could not reasonably give up driving, as I have two children to tote around, and public transportation to my work takes approximately 6 times as long as driving (I can drive in 10 minutes, but it would take an hour or more on the bus). If I'm in better physical condition next year, I would consider riding my bike to work in the summer.

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links