« Home | 10 reasons why gay marriage should be illegal » | Stuff on Louis » | Happy Birthday, Son! » | This ought to work on kids, too... » | Hold that phone, mister! » | Casanova, you're a fine dog » | Scientists OK Gore's Movie for Accuracy » | What? Redesign time already? » | Hot enough for ya? » | Knitwit »

A few knitted items...

OK, here's my most recent finished project:





This is a set of bibs and burp cloths I made from Sugar n'Cream and Peaches & Creme cotton yarn. They're for a former co-worker who's having a baby next month. They were really fun and easy to work up. Despite this, everyone I've shown them to at work seems quite impressed. Hehe!
















Then I have two other projects on my needles. One is another square for my Log Cabin blanket, ala Mason-Dixon Knitting (the bibs and burp cloths are also from MDK). I'm working this up in Blue Sky Cotton, which is really soft and lovely to work with. I'll make a dozen of these squares... hopefully, that will make a big enough afghan to cover our queen-sized bed... if not, I can always make a few more to make it bigger.



Finally, we have the first side of my Wobbly Circles Tote. This is a "first intarsia" pattern from Interweave Knits. There's a Wobbly Knit-Along, but I don't think I started mine in time to join. I started it maybe a month ago, snatching the Spring Interweave Knits just before they took it off the supermarket magazine rack! Whew!

Anyway, it is my first intarsia. It was frustrating at first, the colors tangling and all. So I asked my favorite knitlist for advice, and they assured me that my yarn would tangle no matter what I did, and that I should just deal with it. I also got the recommendation to do what Kaffe Fassett does, and just "let it hang."

So that's what I did: I just let strands of the colors hang off the back, no bobbins or butterflies or anything like that. Since I'm working this up in Lamb's Pride Worsted, I soon realized that it was a great time to practice my spit-splice!

The fact that the bag will be felted in the end gave me the confidence I needed to try spit-splicing: after all, I thought, even if my splice is weak, once the bag is felted it will NEVER come loose! So I worked on it, and finally got the hang of it. My spit-splice is beautiful, if I do say so myself. That also means fewer ends to weave in. Woohoo!


That's it on the knitting front for now...

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links