« Home | Living life as a witch... » | Blood Moon in Taurus » | Samhain Witches Weekly for the week of October 23,... » | Witches cancel Halloween? » | Be the Wind: On the Upcoming Elections » | Witches Weekly Redux: Symbols » | Worms, Take 2 » | The Beast from the Depths of Chaos » | Witches Weekly: Influences » | Why Columbus Day Completely Sucks »

Books I've been reading

I've been reading more lately, in part thanks to my involvement at Bookcrossing.com, which I highly recommend.

The two specifically Witchcraft-related books I've been reading, on and off again, over the last few weeks are Evolutionary Witchcraft, by T. Thorn Coyle, and The Earth Path, by Starhawk. I've included the Amazon links here, but if you are interested in these books, I strongly recommend ordering them from your local independent bookstore or from Powells.com.

I've talked about both these books on this blog before, so I'll keep this piece brief. Evolutionary Witchcraft is really quite an accomplishment. I strongly recommend this book of Feri knowledge, practice, and magic to anyone who is really serious about their Craft. This is hard work, but gratifying.

The Earth Path gets into the real world of Nature, where the Witch belongs. If you are interested in learning more about developing a relationship with the Natural world, I recommend this very practical, Earth-based work.

My other reading has been three unrelated books, but they have shared a common thread.

Ishmael by Daniel Quinn: The story of a teacher and a pupil, the narrative arc in this book is weak, but serves as a sort of a template through which the reader can learn what Ishmael has to teach. Humans have broken the "law of life." We perceive ourselves as not only special, but as better than other creatures. The world belongs to us, and we can use it in any way we like. We bear no responsibility to the Earth or her other residents... in fact, the Earth was created just for our use. Creation has ceased, as we were the end goal. The Earth is ours, and we hold the special knowledge of the gods: what should live and what should die. This is the way humans think and behave in the "civilized" world. Of course, these attitudes are slowly killing us, as we hurtle forward, slaughtering animals and plants we perceive as useless to us.

Nickel and Dimed: On (not) getting by in America by Barbara Ehrenreich: I forgot, for a little while, how much it sucks to be among the working poor. I waited tables for nine years, and have worked a few years of retail as well. I've never been a housekeeper, the other job Ehrenreich worked during her research for this book, but it was easy enough to visualize. Ehrenreich shows the hopelessness of the working poor: you get up, you go to work, maybe you go to a second job, you struggle to pay your rent and bills, and people treat you like a criminal of some kind. I got out of poverty the same way most single mothers do: I got married. I adore my husband, but you shouldn't have to get married to get out of poverty.

Which leads to the book I am currently reading: Somebodies and Nobodies, by Robert W. Fuller. This book picks up, in a way, where Nickel and Dimed leaves off. Fuller even quotes from Ehrenreich's book in his first chapter, when he explains his idea of "rankism," the prejucide against anyone of lower societal rank. The working poor are particular victims of this, but Fuller posits that any "ism" (sexism, racism, etc.) is based on the perception of lower social rank. He espouses dignitarian society: one where we are each treated with dignity, regardless of our social rank.

Ishmael and Somebodies and Nobodies also have their own webpages for discussion amongst readers:

Ishmael

Dignitarian Foundation
Dignitarian Dialogues
Breaking Ranks

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links