« Home | Silly knitting quizzes » | Shifting direction » | Discovering the Podcast » | Beauty and Truth » | Witches Weekly: Pagan Clergy » | London » | Service » | Busted » | Pure, unadulterated dish » | My Moonster »

Witches Weekly: Classes

Witches Weekly: Classes

Witches Weekly for the week of July 17, 2005

This weeks questions donated by: Lizz


What kinds of outside classes (non-coven/non-metaphysical shop) do you attend to broaden your skills? IE: flower arranging, art class, crisis intervention. How has it helped you?

I've taken bellydance in the past, to help me learn about being in my body and how to express worship through dance. I haven't taken any bellydance in a while, but will probably go back to it at some point. I've also considered taking voice lessons, to enhance my ability to use voice in ritual (leading trance, invocations, singing, chanting, and toning).

Right now what I'm really excited and passionate about studying is knitting. I'm a self-taught knitter, and have never taken any knitting classes. But after six years of knitting, I'm ready to hone my skills. So I joined The Knitters Guild Association, and am taking a correspondence course through them. I'm starting with the "Basics, Basics, Basics" course, to really work on my basic skills and to have my knitting evaluated for the first time. The Basics, Basics, Basics course is three lessons. I have the first lesson in hand, and have to work five swatches. I've finished one swatch, and have worked the second swatch a couple of times. Hopefully I'll be able to get the second swatch done--to my satisfaction--tonight or tomorrow. We'll see.

As far as how it helps me, that remains to be seen. I expect it will help me learn to push myself more, to really develop skills and be really good at something. I'm good at many things, but excellent at few. I want to excel at knitting.


If you could teach one class of any level to the pagan community in your area, what class would it be? How would you go about teaching that class, and why would it be something others would want to take? How would it benefit the Pagan community?


I would teach an "Astrology Basics for Witches" course. I don't think all Witches need to be astrologers, per se, but I do think understanding the symbols and basic energies of astrology could be really valuable for Witches. It's a whole other language we can use to understand ourselves and the world around us.

I would want to teach the "alphabet" first: the planets and signs, and the symbols for them. What energies each carries. How the planets work in and through the signs. Basic aspects... the big ones like trines and squares. Let's not muck it up with semiquadrasextiles and the like. (That is a made-up aspect, btw).

This would be helpful in timing rituals, understanding what's going on energetically in the universe, and in drawing on planetary energies to give our work a boost.

Also, I would want everyone in the class to get to know more about their sun, moon, and rising signs. Those are, in my opinion, the big three everyone should know about themselves.

If you know that my sun--the core identity--is in Taurus, that tells you something about me. It might tell you that I don't miss many meals, or that it's tough to get me out of the house, or that I can be both slow in actions, and stubborn once I've chosen my direction.

If you know that I have Taurus rising--the face we show the outside world--as well, that might tell you that what you see with me is basically what you get. I'm not much for hiding my true self.

If you know that I have a Virgo moon--the moon representing the emotional life--that might tell you that I have a desire to help others. It helps me feel more emotionally fulfilled. I can also be a perfectionist (although I manifest that rather oddly sometimes.)

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links