« Home | Dying » | What is Sacred to You? » | Blessing » | Lughnasad » | On Tithing » | Witches Weekly: Let's Talk About Sex » | My Blue God Altar » | Three Cauldrons: A threefold view of reality and b... » | Hiding Places » | My Free Will Horoscope for July 15-22 »

Lucky Day!

Happy Friday the 13th!

I love Friday the 13th. Part of it is my general rebellious streak. HA! I'm a Witch, and I love to turn things on their heads.

One site notes:

Some historians trace the Christian distrust of Fridays to the church's overall opposition to pagan religions. Friday is named after Frigg, the Norse goddess of love and sex. This strong female figure, these historians claim, posed a threat to male-dominated Christianity. To fight her influence, the Christian church characterized her as a witch, vilifying the day named after her. This characterization may also have played a part in the fear of the number 13. It was said that Frigg would often join a coven of witches, normally a group of 12, bringing the total to 13. A similar Christian tradition holds that 13 is unholy because it signifies the gathering of 12 witches and the devil.


13 is also the number of moons in a year, which is where I think the old saw about covens being 13 members comes from. Friday, no doubt because of the association with Freya, is considered a traditional day for working witchcraft. If Friday the 13th is unlucky because of witches, and I am a witch, it must be lucky for me! Yes, I also feel that way about black cats. I don't walk under ladders, but maybe I will start.

May blessings fall upon you this day.

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links