« Home | Blessing » | Lughnasad » | On Tithing » | Witches Weekly: Let's Talk About Sex » | My Blue God Altar » | Three Cauldrons: A threefold view of reality and b... » | Hiding Places » | My Free Will Horoscope for July 15-22 » | Daily Practice » | Iron Pentacle Reading »

What is Sacred to You?

What is Sacred to You?
Witches Weekly for the week of August 07, 2004

What is one item that is sacred to you? (Can be anything, tool, amulet, object, etc)

The response I keep coming back to on this is: my body.

Here's a song I learned at Witchcamp:

My body is a living temple of love,
My body is a living temple of love.
My body is the body of the Goddess,
My body is the body of the Goddess.
Oh, oh, oh, I am what I am,
Oh, oh, oh, I am what I am.

Our bodies are our sacred manifestations, the tools through which we gain experience and learning. Our bodies have much information for us, if we will only listen. As I pursue my initiation, I've learned about things my body needs, and some of the information is holds for me. Blessed be our sacred bodies. Evohe!

What holidays or time of year do you consider most sacred to you personally?

For me, this is very clearly Beltaine and Samhain. Samhain was always my favorite holiday, even as a child. And I was born near Beltane, so that's very special to me as well. Also, sex is very important to me and always has been. Even when I was very young, I thought one of the most peculiar things about most religion (Christian religions were all I was aware of at that time) I was was the vilification of sex. I could never understand how sex between loving adults was immoral or offensive to God. This alone drove me away from most religions I explored in my youth. At any rate, my point is that I have a special love for Beltane because of its celebration of sexuality. (Hmm, there's that body thing again, too.)

Describe your sacred space (can be anywhere, indoors, outdoors, etc):
I suppose anywhere can be sacred space, but I'll take this question at face value. Off of my bedroom is another spare bedroom, where my partner and I keep our clothing. Along with our dressers, I have an altar and two shrines.

I have a shrine to Quan Yin, the Chinese bodhisattva, goddess of compassion and mercy. I offer her fresh water and incense.

I also have an Earth altar/shrine, where I honor the Earth, do Earth magic (like money-drawing), and honor Hecate. I offer fresh water daily and light candles here, as well as make offerings to Hecate.

My main altar is to the Blue God and Malik Taus (who are and are not the same being). Here, I make daily offerings of incense, flowers, and fresh water. I light candles and pray every day (well, ideally) at this altar. I make other offerings as I am called to.

I have art on the walls of this room that remind me of the sacred: a pen and ink drawing of Isis, a painting of a blue moon over rolling hills, a sketch of Marilyn Monroe (to remind me of sacred beauty and sex. Poor Marilyn only wanted to be loved; perhaps she is a martyr of Aphrodite?)

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links