« Home | Books I've been reading » | Living life as a witch... » | Blood Moon in Taurus » | Samhain Witches Weekly for the week of October 23,... » | Witches cancel Halloween? » | Be the Wind: On the Upcoming Elections » | Witches Weekly Redux: Symbols » | Worms, Take 2 » | The Beast from the Depths of Chaos » | Witches Weekly: Influences »

An Open Letter to Barbara Ehrenreich

Dear Ms. Ehrenreich,

I just finished reading Nickel and Dimed, and I just wanted to drop you a note to say thank you.
I waited tables for nine years, and worked a number of retail jobs as well. For most of this time, I was a single mother of two. I went back to community college for two years, then remarried and was able to finish my four-year education. I've worked at weekly newspapers, and now work at a publishing house. Frankly, I still don't make quite a living wage, but I'm grateful to not be waiting tables still as I approach 40.

I'd wanted to read Nickel and Dimed for some time, but just recently got around to it. I had forgotten how miserable waiting tables was, until I read your book. I mean, it wasn't all misery... I cared about co-workers and enjoyed the quick pace of waitressing. But it can also be demeaning, back-breaking work. I remember so many long nights, working a full shift after a full day of school, then going to pick up my sleeping children at a low-quality, but low-cost, babysitter. I would get home, put the kids into their own beds, study, and go to sleep, just so that I could get up and do it all over again.

Things are different now, in part for the same reason they change for most working-poor women: I got married. I just wanted to write to you and tell you thank you. Thank you for coming to see about how our lives are... even though I'm not in that position anymore, I really felt like you were helping speak for me and my life.

With gratitude,

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links