« Home | Saga of the Worms, Part One » | Worms! » | Five Questions for the Candidates » | Now what? » | Using Our Booby Powers for Good » | Witches Weekly: Dreams » | Open Debates » | Et tu, Brokaw? » | Republicans Admit Mailing Campaign Literature Sayi... » | Blogroll update »

Witches Weekly Redux: Pagan Community

No new questions yet this week, so here's one I haven't answered yet:
Pagan Community

Witches Weekly for the week of July 10, 2004

How did you choose the specific path you're on? (Druid, Wiccan, Sumerian)

I said, "Eeenie, meenie, minie, mo...."

No, not really. I'm just in a silly mood today. I'd say that more than me choosing my path, my path has really evolved for me over time. When I found Witchcraft, I thought all Wicca was really the same. I knew very little about different traditions and so on. I was learning from books--mostly OK ones-- and friends--also mostly OK. Even after I learned a little more, like that British Traditional Wicca didn't feel right for me, I just considered myself "eclectic." Finally, in the mid-'90s, I was working with a circle, and one of my circle mates got involved with Reclaiming Tradition. She told me about how wonderful this "witchcamp" was that she went to. I went to the camp a year or so later, and found my home: Reclaiming tradition. What I like about RT (Reclaiming Trad) is the emphasis on being your own authority, and the feminism and anarchism of the tradition. Also, RT is unafraid of politics or opinion; the pantheon is whatever gods you personally choose to work with; initiation is completely optional and personalized, with a focus on personal growth. I also like the ritual structure, trancework, spontaneity, and ecstatic practice RT uses.

My other, related path is Feri. I found out about Feri through my Reclaiming work, as Reclaiming is rooted in Feri practice, though Reclaiming is more community focused than Feri seems to be. Then I was finally introduced to some Feri practices by T. Thorn Coyle, who gave her Peacock God workshop in my area a few years ago. What I love about Feri is the wildness of it, the emphasis on individuality, and freedom. I love the ecstatic practices, the striving to know oneself, the tenets of not coddling weakness and not submitting one's life force to another. I love that it is a sex (or life) cult. I love the gods of Feri. I love the Iron Pentacle, which is common to both traditions, but originates in Feri.

What do you feel you contribute to the pagan community?

I sometimes volunteer at public rituals, or contribute ideas and thoughts on email lists. I'd have to say, though, that my most important contribution has been starting a coven. The coven has gone through some changes lately, and we're a consensus-run coven, but I did get the ball rolling, which I'm quite proud of. And then there's just me being a good person and letting non-Pagans see what Pagans might be like.

How long have you been an active member of the pagan community?

About 16 years, but I drop in and out of the larger community. I tend to stay connected to a few people, and the larger, public community is often missing the intimacy and connection I enjoy in smaller groups.

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links