« Home | Vote! » | Witches Weekly: Random Questions » | May their suffering be relieved » | Devotion » | Witches Weekly: Sound » | In love, may he return again » | Lucky Day! » | Dying » | What is Sacred to You? » | Blessing »

Witches Weekly: Politics

Politics

Witches Weekly for the week of August 28, 2004

Do you feel those with pagan beliefs should attempt to take more of a political stand?

Absolutely. When I first came into the Pagan community, it seemed that people were practically phobic about politics. I still see too much of this, not wanting to take a political stand, or not wanting to be too hardcore about it. When I found the Reclaiming tradition/community, with their emphasis on political action and the Five-Point Agenda, I liked that these witches wanted to put their money where their mouths were. If the Earth is Sacred, if humans are a manifestation of God Herself, we must stand up for these things. Though I wholeheartedly support the legal separation of church and state, it's absurd to think you can really separate your religious beliefs from your political ones. My gods call on me to stand up for my beliefs, and to speak up for the rights of others.

By the way, I was very excited yesterday when I was watching the RNC protests, because I saw a bunch of witches chanting and doing a spiral dance in the middle of everything!

Is paganism openly accepted where you are from? (city,town,state)

Basically. I mean, there are always the freaks who can't deal with witchcraft or paganism as a valid religion, but I live in a smallish, but pretty hip city that is just crawling with Pagans! That's part of why I love the city I live in so much.

Given your beliefs, what's one thing that a political figure could promise to you about your path, that would convince you to vote for them?

My first answer would be about religious freedom. If they are really for it, and want equal treatment of all different faiths, I'd get behind that.

But in reality, there are two basic choices: Democrats and Republicans. All a politician really has to say to me is that he's a Democrat, and I'll pick him or her over the Republican every single time. I'm a yellow-dog Democrat, no doubt.

Third parties are not, I repeat, not, in a position to win a national office at this time in this country! I appreciate their efforts and think them worthwhile generally, but I believe alternate parties need to start locally before they can even dream of winning the Presidency. Ralph Nader could say absolutely nothing to persuade me to vote for him. I think he really hurt Al Gore last time, and he is clearly hurting Kerry's chances this time. It's true that neither of the main candidates are a perfect match for my beliefs, but Kerry comes a hell of a lot closer than Bush does. Our government needs reform, but you don't remodel the house while it's on fire. Let's put the Bush-fire out first, by electing John Kerry, then we can work on reform.

Note, after reading some of the other Witches Weekly responses:

I hope some of those who are posting that they don't trust politicians, are uninterested in politics, or simply may not vote, will reconsider. Politicians are problematic, no doubt, but they have real power in our country and influence all of our lives to some degree. Please consider voting for the politician whose views seem to come closest to your own. Even though you may not LOVE your choice, at least you will know you helped prevent something even worse.

Smart replies and I agree fully. Why so many people on the Witches Weekly say that they want tolerence and religious freedom but won't vote is beyond me! Yeah the political situation in the US sucks. We all know that. But bitching about it and not trying to work with it won't change things.

We need to stand up and demand that laws stop being put forward (and gods forbid, passed) which are based on one religion's dogma. It's disgusting and won't stop by just sitting around and complaining about it.

Anyway, sorry for the mini-rant. I just agree with your post and was relieved to FINALLY see some common sense answers from someone else on this list.

Last time I felt very idealist and didn't want to vote for the lesser of two evils. I voted for Harry Brown, the Libertarian candidate.

And the far greater of two evils won. This time, I will vote for the lesser, and not the candidate that I want to win, but the one of the two that have a chance that wouldn't make me sick to my stomach.

I would rather someone vote third party than not at all, but I do agree that it's hurting Kerry's chances. He's not great, but he's certainly better than the alternative.

Post a Comment

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links