« Home | Politics, again » | Witches Weekly: Politics » | Vote! » | Witches Weekly: Random Questions » | May their suffering be relieved » | Devotion » | Witches Weekly: Sound » | In love, may he return again » | Lucky Day! » | Dying »

Witches Weekly: Teachers and Training

Teachers and Training
Witches Weekly for the week of September 5, 2004


1. What kind of training (if any) have you had in your chosen spiritual path (workshops, seminary, coven, courses, etc.)?

My first "real" training was in the Reclaiming Tradition. I went to my first Witchcamp nearly 10 years ago, and took Elements there. I also took a local Elements class with several friends not long after my return. I was eager for formal training, as all I really had at that time was book-larnin', and friends with little or no more experience than I had. At this point, I've taken the Reclaiming "core classes," with the exception of Rites of Passage. I'll probably take it next time it's offered in my area. I've also been to several more Witchcamps, a year-long Witchcraft Apprenticeship, grounded in Reclaiming with dribs and drabs of Feri, and recently completed a two-year Feri Tradition training with T. Thorn Coyle.



2. Who have been the people who have influenced you the most along your spiritual path?

My first major influence was probably Scott Cunningham. Yes, I know. Cunningham has been maligned in some of the Pagan community for being too "fluffy," or simple, or whatever. Cunningham's work is simple, but as a beginner, it was good, basic, Earth-based magic. This is not necessarily the kind of work I'm engaged in now, but I still use some of his books for reference (such as Scott Cunningham's Encyclopedia of Magical Herbs). Basic, but useful.

The work of Judy Harrow and Proteus Coven has been an influence on me from the Gardenerian side of things, even though I'm not much inclined to Gardnerianism myself.

Starhawk has been more of an indirect influence on me. Certainly, I've read all of her Witchcraft nonfiction, and look forward to her next book, The Earth Path : Grounding Your Spirit in the Rhythms of Nature. I say she has been an indirect influence because, even more than her writing, I've been influenced by teachers and peers who are deeply influenced by Starhawk. I found a spiritual home in the Reclaiming Community, which Starhawk (along with others) was instrumental in creating.

Thorn Coyle has been a significant influence on me. Her interpretation of Feri Tradition, and the way she teaches and practices have influenced me deeply. There are others too; my initiators influence me of course, and there are other teachers in my local area who influence me as well. I've certainly been influenced and inspired by people I've known who practice deep devotion to their path--there have even been some Christians who've influenced me this way.

I've also been in a small and evolving group for the last four years, which developed into a coven two years ago, and which is now undergoing dramatic and exciting changes. My covenmates are of a similar experience level, and we explore our training together. They are, naturally, a significant influence on me, each in their own way. Watching my friend S. die was a major influence on me. My children influence me, in their individual strengths and weaknesses, in the ways they reflect me, and in the ways they do not.

Victor and Cora Anderson, who founded Feri Tradition, are major influences, as is the Zine of Feri Uprising, Witch Eye.

Liberation theology, Buddhism, superstring theory, the music of Tori Amos, and Enneagram work are other influences.

3. What skills, values, and/or areas of expertise do you seek in a spiritual mentor or teacher?

Devotion. Trustworthiness. Kindness. I seek those with a strong spiritual practice, knowledge of my chosen traditions, along with technical knowledge of magic and divination.

About me

  • I'm Jean
  • From
My profile


Cost of the War in Iraq
(JavaScript Error)

Links